May 3, 2012

Sweet sweat

Today I went for a run for the first time in 10 days. Between the thick, wet air and a gut full of a delicious MOPS brunch, I thought I might die... or puke... or just pass out. Of the many weird things about me, when I work out, I don't sweat until I stop exercising. I know, bizarre.

So, today was no different, except for the amount of sweat. It was rolling off me. My shirt was soaked. I felt legit in my efforts to be athletic.

The Hubby had to rush off to work, so we high-fived, gave a kiss, and off he went. It was just me and The Boy. And, my sweat. As I let The Boy down from his high-chair, I was surprised that even in my stinky, ringing wet state, he wanted to be held. And not just held, but he wanted to be snuggled.

Ew!

"I know I'm your mom, and I'm thankful you love me no matter what, but Little Dude, I STINK!"

And then it hit me. It's just like Jesus.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." -Matthew 11:28

When you stink, come to Jesus.
When you're sweaty, come to Jesus.
When you're struggling, come to Jesus.

No matter what. No matter when.

You don't clean yourself up to go to your Father.

I let myself lay on the floor, and I laughed (not in disgust) as my son crawled all over me. He nuzzled me. He wrestled me. He didn't give one care or concern to my odorous state of being.

Matthew went on to say this, "Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

So, where are you finding rest? Are you trying to clean up your sweaty-self before going to Jesus? Are you being honest with Him and yourself about the reality of your sin?

Thank you, Jesus, for using the sweet sweat and an adorable one-year-old to remind me of how much you love me.

No comments:

Post a Comment