Jan 5, 2013

Her Galaxy

Some of you loyal readers (all 3) might know my mom is an outstanding real estate salesperson in the metropolis of West Lafayette, Indiana... in the shadow of the golden... er, Purdue University.

What you might not know is that in the early '90's she became a part of an elite group of Realtors from across the country who were dubbed "Howard Brinton's STAR Power Stars." Basically, Howard-- a real estate and leadership guru-- did his homework and acknowledged the top real estate sales people across the country. Each month, he would feature one "STAR of the month," who happened to be the next inductee into this elite group. For my mom, Cathy Russell, that was February of 1994. It was just after my 12th birthday, and I had no idea how it would impact the rest of my life.

Her fellow STARS were (and continue to be) some of her best friends. They've challenge her in her business as they have gathered twice a year for the last [almost] 20 years to swap ideas and inspire one another. They're also sounding boards when a "rainmaker" needs to vent... encouragement when overcome with illness... and a swift kick in the pants when one might start to get lazy [read: behind on technology].

Every summer we got the awesome experience of a week away at an incredible destination... Orlando, San Antonio, New York... and on and on and on. Basically, we'd swim all day in the hotel pool and eat great food while Mom went to sessions and taught others her trade. Then came the years that I got to go as an attendee. I graduated from college and join my mom's team. Talk about not missing a beat... these conferences were awesome! It was like standing in front of a fire-hydrant of information.

Wikipedia says, "Stars can form part of a much larger gravitationally bound structure, such as a cluster or a galaxy."

That's it. This group has become mom's galaxy!

But, as I started thinking about it, they're also part of mine...

Amy Stoehr was mom's first assistant, and left to go be Howard's go-to-gal. She was like a big sister to me! I did (and still kind of do) want to be her ;)
Randy Keys' Christmas parties at the Indianapolis Zoo were always so fun!
Jana Caudill is our next door neighbor at the lake. We live our summers with her family, and have for years!
Beth Mason and Janet Parson's helped mom get me into my wedding gown on that most-sacred of days!
Steve Westmark was at the hospital for the birth of my first born child!

A galaxy indeed!

For the last few days, Mom has been in Utah, celebrating the life lived by Howard Brinton. As I've watched the photos float across my Facebook home page, I started thinking about what Howard meant to little me. He was goofy, and smart, and made an adoring 12-year-old fan feel awesome when he gave ME (!!!) a hug at one of those annual conferences.

"For at least a portion of its life, a star shines due to thermonuclear fusion of hydrogen into helium in its core, releasing energy that traverses the star's interior and then radiates into outer space."

As I came across that statement, I couldn't help but think of Howard. For a portion of his life-- most of his life-- he shined. The thermonuclear fusion (whatever that technically means...) in his core released energy... and then it radiated! He poured into others, helping them to become the best of the best!

At church last Sunday, the pastor challenged us with this question:

Howard's seems so clear to me: Be a shining star in the galaxy where God has placed you.

Thank you, Howard, for bringing mom into your group. And, thank you STARs, for being the galaxy in which mom perfectly fits.

4 comments:

  1. Very cool Stacy. Your writing is great. Really enjoyed seeing the kid perspective. I know you are not a kid anymore, but it was so refreshing. My best to Dusty, Addie and the J Man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacy, you rock! Love the galaxy reference, your eloquent writing style, and YOU.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacy, I too want to grow up and be just like Amy. :) Oops I guess I have to get younger to do that..I am up for that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading these tributes to Howard has really made me realize how special he really was to all of us. I can tell you that being interviewed by Howard was one of the highlights of my life - something I will never forget,and yes - being associated with the galaxy of stars has changed my life forever. Thanks for the wonderful tribute.

    ReplyDelete