Dec 17, 2012

The War

Brace yourselves. I'm about to go on a major rant. But, this is my blog, so I guess that's allowed. And really, what better platform, right?

We are in a war. What happened in Connecticut last Friday makes it all the more real. It's not just a war of weapons, mental health or security issues. It's much, much bigger than that.

Since allllllllll those years ago when that slimy snake worked his magic in the garden, we have been in a war of Evil v. Good.

As I've scrolled Facebook the last few days, reading reactions to the tragedy of 26 lives gone in an instant, what most frustrates me is the dialogue that goes something like this:

"Dear God, Why do you allow so much violence in our schools?" -Concerned student
"Dear Concerned Student, I'm not allowed in schools." -God

Really? If you believe this, as a believer and follower of Jesus Christ, I think you might be confused.

The God I follow is omnipresent. He is God. He is everywhere, at all times. He is omnicient. He has complete, unlimited knowledge.

Laws and rules do not keep God out of schools. He. Is. GOD! He is in schools because we (believers) are in schools...
... opening our mouths to proclaim His truths...
... loving on others with self-less action...
... praying for the leadership of the school...

It's not a petition or rules that "allows" God into schools. He doesn't need an invitation.

Matthew retells a prophesy of Isaiah (about Jesus) in the 12th chapter of his gospel:
18 “Look at my Servant, whom I have chosen.
He is my Beloved, who pleases me.
I will put my Spirit upon him,
and he will proclaim justice to the nations.
19 He will not fight or shout
or raise his voice in public.
20 He will not crush the weakest reed
or put out a flickering candle.
Finally he will cause justice to be victorious.
21 And his name will be the hope of all the world.”

People! God does not need human permission to be in schools!

Whether public school, Christian school, home-school, or any other time of educational facility (or movie theater, or shopping mall, or army base), there will be trouble/hurt/violence/thingsthatmakeabsolutelynosense! God warns us of this:

John 16:33 "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”

"...BUT TAKE HEART..."

Ah ha! A different promise!

To me, the bottom line is this: I don't believe in a set of rules. I believe & follow a relational Savior, who loved me so much to die a horrific death on a cross by crucifiction! They'll know we're Christians by our love, not our rules... or complaining... or excuses.

 You want more Jesus in schools? BE HIM!

No comments:

Post a Comment