Feb 11, 2012

What a difference a decade makes...

Last night we wrapped up three weeks of birthday celebrations. It started a few days before my birthday, when The Hubby took me on a surprise getaway to Chicago. Then came the actual date-- which caught me by surprise. And, finally, last night I enjoyed yet another amazing cake made by a dear friend, along with games and merriment with people I love.

A week ago I turned 30. To anyone born before 1980, I am still very young. To anyone born from 1980-1984, I'm normal. And to anyone born after 1985, I'm closer to their age than they thought ;)

Regardless, the last few weeks have included some intense reflection. So much has happened in the last 10 years! (Well, honestly, so much has happened in the last 30 years, but I'll spare you all of those details...)

Since 2002, I--
-got baptized
-was an Indianapolis 500 Festival Princess
-became an Aunt
-lived, studied in Mexico for 6 weeks
-graduated from college
-traveled to China for 2 weeks with ABC's "Nightline"
-stood up for 11 girlfriends in their weddings
-married the man of my dreams!
-owned 4 homes, and one investment property
-gave birth, twice
-ran 3 half marathons
-helped more than 200 people buy or sell a home

Of course there are a lot of other things that God has done over the last 10 years, and some painful stuff too, but those are the "highlights."

I was telling a friend last night that after one week, I think thirty feels good. Since 6th grade I've been trying to figure out who I am (I know, I'm a slow learner) and I think I've finally got it. It's not because of the list of events and accomplishments above.

It's because of Jesus.

I'm learning, daily, more about who He is, and therefore, who I am IN HIM.

"But I trust in your unfailing love.
I will rejoice because you have rescued me." -Psalm 13:
5

1 comment:

  1. As a fellow turner of 30... I have to agree with you on the fact that is all because of Jesus.. At first it was weird to say the word THIRTY... but at this point, I am so proud of who I am and where I am in life.... HE is so faithful and has us right where He wants us! :) I enjoyed being able to celebrate with you! :)

    ReplyDelete